Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Homemade Apple Cake


While I was in the Hamptons this Summer, I came across this adorable Apple Cake Mix. Although I really don't like desserts with hot fruit (like apple pie), I'm a sucker for good packaging, so I bought it. This mix comes with all the dry ingredients ready, and is wrapped in an adorable keepsake kitchen towel.



All I needed to do was add in sliced apples (I threw in some pear too), walnuts, and 2 eggs.



Mix it all together, and pour into a pie pan to cook for 45 min.



The entire house smelled like apples and cinnamon, it was amazing.



After cooling for a few minutes, I added some vanilla custard fro-yo from The Bigg Chill, and went to town. While it has the same flavor as an apple pie, the texture is purely cake-like. That's what makes it so amazing. It soaks up any potential sogginess of the fruit, leaving the apple slices to be a perfect consistency. It's almost like a muffin or coffee cake, but much much better.

1 comment:

  1. funemployment at its best. Could you keep making things and possibly making house calls?

    ReplyDelete