Monday, January 21, 2013

Gourmandise School Pastry Class

  
This month I started the first level of the Pro Pastry Program at The Gourmandise School in Santa Monica and I LOVE it! I have already learned so much not only about baking and chemistry, but also about the history of the food industry.  My teacher is amazing and so far everything we've made has really turned out great.  This photo was from the first class where we talked about chocolate. We tasted several different percentages of chocolate, pure cocoa nibs and even cocoa butter (the white block in the middle) which was revolting.  I think my teacher might love chocolate as much as I do...


 Cheddar & Chive Biscuits, Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, Carrot Cake with Pistachios, Blueberry Muffins


 Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies


Homemade Toffee


Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies


Dark Chocolate Brownies (severely undercooked and OUT OF CONTROL amazing)


"Lemon Bars" shaped as a cake, with Vanilla Meringue


I never like lemon desserts, ever, but something about this really stood out to me!  Maybe because we used very sweet Meyer lemons, but this was seriously an amazing dessert.  


The crust was salty and fluffy and filling was dense and sweet.  I was super excited to use a torch on the meringue!  

No comments:

Post a Comment